Hi Nuno,

Sqlite is one mailing list I have consistently found absolutely excelent knowledge, thanks again for your information. I don't know whether this should be off-thread now, but I don't have your email address.

I'll have to research memory allocation further. But I'm glad to know that the 16MB 'VmData' is not reserved per-process. If you know a good URL on Linux virtual memory and allocation, I would be extremely interested.

My code is c++, it's a manifold for many TCP remote mobile devices, like GPS tracking equipment. Therefore it's evolved to link to half the libraries on the system.

If I am to correctly account for data used by a collection of processes, would this be the sum of VmRSS?

I am suffering a 4GB memory 64-bit Zeon Linux box, which keeps crashing with 'No available memory'. I'm finding it quite hard to break down the memory into what processes are paged-in and using what's available. Sqlite seemed to be the smoking gun, so although I'm glad it was not the case, it means I must start again on my search...

Thanks for the advise,

Ben