> > Upon loading a saved file into the application the database on filesystem
is
> > loaded into an ADO.Net DataSet. This is used by the application until the
> user
> > saves to disk again when all of the changes to the DataSet are saved back
> > the database on disk.
> >

> In all of the desktop apps that I write, I omit the File->Save
> option altogether.  File->Open opens the SQLite database and
> there after all changes are saved to the disk as they are made.

If your data has to be used by more than one client suggested method
is the simpler one to guarantee for cooperative editing but - if not -
I'd suggest a third way:

- upon load you copy your file to temp dir and open it
- you write data directly to temp file
- you remember temp file name so that if application crashes you can
suggest for recovery
- upon file close or application queryunload you ask user whether to
discard changes or not.
- of course you can still implement undo/redo tecniques

my 2 cents, Claudio