I fix computers for customers during evenings and weekends and I have only have 2 customers (so far) using Windows 98. Nearly everyone, even the many seniors among my clients, use Windowx XP and/or OS X.

I feel that banning Win 98 machines is therefore appropriate. Serious developers wouldn't be using or developing on Windows 98 any more than Windows 3.1. If someone truly needs to download from your site, that person can contact you or post to this list and I'm sure some happy arrangement can be made. Give them the dump. That's what I would do.

I'm still the only Linux user in my circle of associates but then...the Linux folks would probably fix their machines themselves rather than pay me to do it. So they'd never think of contacting me to begin with.

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Last night, a single user (or, at least, a single IP address)
in China that self-identified as running windows98 and
Mozilla 4.0 attempted to download sqlite-3.3.12.tar.gz
24980 times and  sqlite-source-3_3_12.zip 25044 times
over about a 5 hour period, sucking up significant
bandwidth in the process.

I've seen this type of thing before and have on occasion
banned specific IP addresses from the website using

   iptables -A INPUT -s <ipaddress> -j DROP

But lately, there have been so many problems coming from
win98 and moz4 that I'm thinking of banning all traffic
that self-identifies as such in the User-Agent string of
the HTTP header.

Thoughts anyone?  Are there less drastic measures that might
be taken to prevent this kind of abuse?

--
D. Richard Hipp  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>