COS wrote:
A small opinion on that matter: what I would really like to see is something
like system tables. Today sqlite uses only sqlite_master to keep information
about its objects and parsing is required to getter better info of each
object (if one needs to). Using other system tables to keep information
about each object seems very appropriated since most RDBMS already implement
that and it is compatible with SQL ANSI. I think it shouldn't be much of a
problem since sqlite engine already parses each object when it opens a
database. This would remove the need for PRAGMA commands and would make life
much simpler.

It might be possible to implement something like this using virtual tables. I seem to remember that you wouldn't be able to support the exact syntax of ANSI INFORMATION_SCHEMA, but would be able to support most of the functionality.