Hi Dennis, the first approach is clear now and I may proceed with it.
The second approach is interesting and chalenging, but leaves some
issues to clarify and in case I find solutions to those issues I well
may adopt it.
1. format of csv file: I have no idea how this csv file is created and
which database engine is used. I do know that I receive such a file once
or twice a day.
While reading the file onto the list of structures, I also validate the
consistency of the data in the file.
Before the data lines (starting with "d,") there is a header line
"hdr,". This line contains the sequential number of the file, number of
records in the file and a checksum on a specific field of the data (say
coumn 2).
As I knew nothing up to now about .import, I wonder if there is a way to
include those checings in the second approach?
2. The deletion of the future dates is incorrect. On the contrary, in
the first approach, I re-examine the remaining structures each half a
minute until any of them becomes past date, then I process it just like
any other past date structures and then free it.
In case a new .csv file arrives, I add the new list of structures to the
remaining ones and continue to examine them every half a minute.
I could do the same with the sql3_exec statement in the second approach,
but I need another approach for the case of the future records.
I hope you have satisfying answers for those 2 issues and then I'll be
glad to proceed with the second approach.
Thanks, Rafi.