Regarding:
 Creation of flat file takes 1.5 secs vs 3 seconds to create sqlite db.
 Flat file is 13 MB, sqlite db is 11 MB.

 "Any ideas how to get the sqlite output timings to a more respectable
level would be appreciated. "

I may be way off base if I'm not understanding correctly, but how can
one call these values less than respectable?

To create an sqlite database (or any other) the system must do the same
things it does for the flat file, plus maintain a paging structure,
create indices (presumably), rollback journals, etc., etc.

To take only twice as long seems great (but I'm no expert here).  I'm
guessing it might have taken sqlite even longer except that maybe
compression of numeric values allowed it to actually need fewer disk
writes for the final file (not counting journalling, though).

That being said, if the data you're writing out is saved elsewhere (i.e.
you can repeat the whole process if it should fail) then you can try
turning synchronous OFF, or, if you have to be more conservative, to
NORMAL.