> SQLite does not have a dedicated DATE type.

I know that, but why it does't create appropriate column definition ?
create table tab(col date);
creates a table with "date" type.
create table tab2 as select * from tab;
also.
This type does't do much, but it can be queried with sqlite3_column_decltype.
This way I know what to do with text stored in the database.
Currently the only way I see is to create table and then insert .. as select
which seems to be weird in presence of a function that "changes the datatype".