On 6/18/07, John Stanton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Andre du Plessis wrote:
> How can one optimize the creation of the journal file. The problem is
> this, for our system which is an event based one each message needs to
> be insterted and committed to the database (guaranteed), this results in
> a commit per insert, this was obviously unacceptably slow and according
> to the lists by design you need to do more bulk transactions, and with
> some efford I modified it with a combination of bulk and temporary
> tables to do quite a few at a time, but the problem remains that
> committing is terribly slow.

I, too, discovered this.  By at least a factor of 50 to 100 times as slow
with my current hardware (stripe & mirror hardware card software drivers)
than by running in "PRAGMA SYNCHRONOUS=OFF;" mode.

In my case I chose to accept the risk that the OPERATING SYSTEM or MACHINE
will crash before the data is truly written to the hard drive platters.

My alternative that I may still implement was to have an interior journaling
table which recorded each operation, and then applied the operations in bulk
within one transaction to the desired tables.

I am not a SQlite expert by any stretch of the imagination, but these
techniques worked for me.

--andy