>  Here are my results after modifying the "begin transaction" to a "begin
> exclusive"
>  Begin transaction is a bit Lazy in that the lock escalation doesnt occur
> until the pager escalates the lock due to a write.
>
>  You'll see that the begin exclusive acquires a lock immediately and avoids
> the behavoir.

Hi Ken, thanks for the reply.

Begin exclusive is not a sufficient solution though as that would have an effect
on _every_ transaction, not just a transaction modifying the same table.  If the
solution is indeed to use 'BEGIN EXCLUSIVE' why then are there different
transactional
modes at all, considering that would mean SQLite cannot handle anything else?

BTW- I had actually switched my production code to use BEGIN EXCLUSIVE after
finding this bug, that was a few weeks ago, until recently when I had the
time to write the test case, so I was actually aware of that 'workaround'.

Thanks.
-Brad