Thanks John and Joe for your responses.

As far as I know, Postgres does not have a virtual engine. I could be wrong.

One other question, when a query is issued, does SQLite cache the results, so
that future queries can be processed off the cache (I think not)

Thanks

Uma
John Stanton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: >Moreover, is it typical to have an
implementation like VDBE in other databases as well?

This is a common approach and has been used for a very long time.  For
example we used it in products produced during the 1980s because
producing a virtual machine and a compiler for its application-specific
instruction set was a far better solution than masses of procedural
logic.  At that time it was a time honored technique and not at all
innovative.

Look at how PostgreSQL compiles and stores SQL statements for background
information on the concept.