Sorry for this off topic comment:
John, about the dates, could you please fix your system clock, your emails all appear at the top when sorting by date ;)

Again, sorry for the off topic. Hope I'm not intruding :)

Best regards
Daniel

John Stanton wrote:
Our business for many years was producing compilers and database software to transport legacy software onto new platforms. We saw literally thousands of custom application software implementations and got to see the good, the bad and the ugly. As I said before dates were a blind spot with most developers and they got themselves into much quite avoidable trouble by jumping in without doing some research.

Those who implemented the classic date/time system with an epoch in 4712BC (from memory) did the best.

Lee Crain wrote:
John,

There are an almost infinite number of applications and operations that a
person can think of regarding the use of dates and times.
My employer's applications on that particular server were specific and
well defined. I'm not going to go into all the details of the requirement;
there were many.
I picked the best, low-tech solution that satisfied every existing
requirement and every foreseeable requirement. It was a very successful
implementation that solved all date-time related problems on that server. And, (this is a very important point) if additional, unforeseen, date-time
functionality must be implemented in the future, like adding or
subtracting time intervals, those solutions can and should be implemented
in the server software, not the server database. In my solution, the
database is the repository of data, not logic.
Lee Crain