--- P Kishor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 11/9/07, Joe Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > --- James Dennett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Appealing *to* non-technical people?  Why would a website on an embedded
> > > database wish to appeal primarily to such an audience?  I'd think it
> > > would be best to present information in a way that appeals to its likely
> > > viewers.
> >
> > My wording was poor. I think a lot of programmers don't care what a software
> > website looks like, as long as the code works.
>
> Wrong. Many, many programmers do care a lot about the looks of a
> software, the code behind the software, stuff written with and for
> that software, and the website of that software. While not always
> co-relating, a well laid out website is also attractive, and an
> attractive website is also well laid out. Software makers and
> designers, particularly in the world of Macs, are very proud of how
> their products look and behave, and they spend a considerable amount
> of effort making them look good.

Of course we all like nice looking software and websites.
No one is disputing this. The question is how to achieve it.
Programmers are not necessarily the best people to make aesthetic
decisions. Apple has their Human Interface Group.
Apple software tends to look better largely because someone has
already made most of these design decisions in their famous
Apple Human Interface Guidelines. There are people out there
who do this sort of thing for a living, and frankly, are much
better at it than most programmers.