--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Joe Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > So few lines of code are changed by the patch that one could easily
> > add a new PRAGMA to have the old compound SELECT behavior to be the
> > default. If a database is explicitly created or altered with the new
> > PRAGMA setting, it could have the new behavior, i.e.:
>
> My goal is to keep SQLite simple.  It is already way more
> complex than it needs to be.  Adding new pragma settings is
> going in the wrong direction.

I agree that PRAGMAs may not be the best way to go, it was just a
compromise proposal.

I believe that incompatible changes are warranted when the end
result is more understandable and follows common practise.
There have been many changes of the course of development of SQLite
that have broken backwards compatibilty in order to accept common
database practise.

For example, the name resolution and result-set heading of compound
statements was changed from right-to-left to left-to-right when it
was demonstrated that most databases used that methodology. No doubt
some users' queries were affected by an upgrade.

The SQL92 standard is so ambiguous that a strictly compliant database
could actually perform no useful work at all. The standard itself just
serves as a guideline.

> Joe, I appreciate your desire to help.  But adding complexity
> is not helping.  If you want to be helpful without adding
> complexity, consider writing up a paragraph or two about
> how the current ORDER BY matching works and how it ought
> to work.  Be precise, unambiguous, and consise. If you can
> write formal requirements instead of prose, that would be
> even better.

I can appreciate that, but it's just a hobby for me. My interest is
to make sqlite more compatible with other databases or to improve
its speed.

It's often easier and less ambiguous to express an idea in code than
to describe it in words. A few of my patches and findings (DISTINCT,
OP_Real) have formed the basis of new SQLite features and optimizations.
If someone finds the patches useful, great.  If not, that's also fine.