No, not at all: in fact, differences of opinion are common on this list,
and generally don't cause problems because most list participants have
similar notions of culturally "polite" ways to resolve them.

> That's too bad - but it's not my
> way to change my mind under pressure.

The best technical results don't come from such pressure, I'd certainly
agree.

> Everyone here can have his/her own opinion - and so can I. And my
opinion
> can differ from the opinion of the others' (and vice versa).
>
> Ending the thread (I hope), I want to repeat: I wrote *yesterday*:
"OK, no
> problem". Everyone can check out this lists archive. The devs -
especially
> "the Highest One" - answered "no", and it's enough for me. But my
opinion
> about the proposed feature stays. So what? It's mine. Perhaps really -
> after
> ending my current work - I'll write that patch on my own. Fred, Ken
and
> all
> the others' (even that mentioned "poor ***") can have different
opinions,
> of
> their own. I didn't deny it - as (almost) all the others are denying
my
> right to have my own opinion.
>
> I can't understand all that people tryin' to start a flamewar here
*after*
> I ended the discussion *yesterday* already. Are they bored, and
looking
> for
> some doubtful "fun"? But why exactly here?

No, they're not trying to start a flamewar -- they're reacting to what
they honestly perceive as _you_ flaming.  But your flaming was, in turn,
your response to a post from Aristotle Pagaltzis which I'm sure you
honestly considered flaming, though by the standards of most list
participants Aristotle was doing exactly what you defend: politely
expressing his disagreement with your opinion, and explaining why he
disagreed.

I don't think there is any bad intention behind any of the posts here.
It's best (for both sides) not to assume bad faith, and to understand
that when we communicate in e-mail from around the world, sometimes
we'll do it in different ways.

To take an example (and I apologize for it being from your message, but
that's a convenient place): when you write "I ended the discussion
*yesterday* already", it's easy for me to take that as being rude
because it implies that you have the power to unilaterally terminate a
discussion on this list.  Now, I think that you really meant that you
stated yesterday that *you* did not need any further discussion, and I
don't really believe that you intended to tell others that they are not
permitted to continue the discussion if they wish to do so.  However, if
I were of a mind to look for "rudeness", I could find it even where none
was intended.

Our goals here are the same -- we want SQLite to continue to be a fine
database within its niche, and to improve.  It's natural that there are
disagreements on what constitutes "improvement", and even that there
will be tensions as the forces behind those disagreements are resolved.
Let's not waste time debating perceived insults on the list?

Regards,

James