Hi Duncan,

Regarding: " A DBMS accepting such queries isn't just a little
dangerous, its flat out wrong.  I would ask what rationale there is for
this query not failing. -- Darren Duncan"

I'm not asserting that you have to agree with the rationale, but did you
see and read the discussion that Joe Wilson pointed out to you?

This issue is debated from time to time on the list:

 http://www.mail-archive.com/sqlite-users@sqlite.org/msg17769.html

The only other database that I'm aware of that supports selecting
non-aggregates that are not listed in GROUP BY is MySQL:

  -- valid in sqlite and mysql, invalid in postgres
  select b from t group by a;

But your particular example is not valid in MySQL:

  mysql> SELECT MAX(a), b FROM T;
  ERROR 1140 (42000): Mixing of GROUP columns (MIN(),MAX(),COUNT(),...)
with no GROUP columns is illegal if there is no GROUP BY clause

This email and any attachments have been scanned for known viruses using
multiple scanners. We believe that this email and any attachments are virus
free, however the recipient must take full responsibility for virus checking.
This email message is intended for the named recipient only. It may be
privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the named recipient of this
email please notify us immediately and do not copy it or use it for any
purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other person.