-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Scott Hess
Sent: Friday, April 04, 2008 9:15 AM
To: General Discussion of SQLite Database
Subject: Re: [sqlite] Count(1)

What I meant when I said "full table scan" is that it has to read at
least something for every single row in the table.  So the following
are going to be the same:

  SELECT COUNT(*) FROM t;
  SELECT COUNT(rowid) FROM t;

It won't have to scan any overflow pages, but it will have to hit all
the leaf nodes.

You could certainly do a full scan on an index other than the rowid.
It might involve much less reading if the indexed items are small
relative to the overall row.  Not sure if SQLite does this
optimization for you or not (I don't think it much matters - it's
still going to bel O(N), just with a lower constant).

-scott

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 8:19 AM, Samuel Neff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Scott,
>
>  Is it really a full table scan or just an index scan (at least in the
case
>  where no data is needed from the table as in the original sample that
had no
>  join or where clause).
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  Sam
>

>  On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 4:12 PM, Scott Hess <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>  > A little bit more info:  SELECT COUNT(*) is implemented as a full
>  > table scan, so SQLite is visiting every row in the table, which
will
>  > get slower and slower as the table gets bigger and the database
>  > fragments.  This differs from many database engines (which
implement
>  > an optimization for this)  Doing the trigger thing means that it
only
>  > visits the specific row that contains the count.
>  >
>  > -scott
>  >
>  >
>  --

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are
not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not
use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on this message or any
information herein. If you have received this message in error, please advise
the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for
your cooperation.