Has anybody else had trouble debugging SQlite3 in Visual Studio Express?

Here's what I have: Made a Visual Studio Express project, put the SQLite3
code in, added shell.c, put a breakpoint in sqlite3_exec, and ran the
debugger (debugging argument goes through sqlite3_exec). No stop. Then I
put a breakpoint on the call to sqlite3_exec in main(), ran, got the stop
there, pressed Step Into (F11), and the current line jumped to comments in
sqlite3.c. I'm thinking it's the VS Express can't take the amalgamated code.

Before suggestions of other IDE's/compilers, did anybody else experience
this? Found workarounds?

Thanks,

Martin