On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 01:26:48PM +0100, Oyvind Idland scratched on the wall:
> Hi,
>
> as far as I can see from docs, the r-tree extension uses 32-bit floats to
> store rectangles.
>
> However, when I try to insert this one
>
> INSERT INTO points_index (id, x, y) VALUES (3, 731.293, 74.463);
>
> i get "SQL error: constraint failed".
>
> Reducing the x to 31.293 works.
>
> Is the r-tree limitied to WGS84 latitude/longitude coordinates ?

  From this and your other post, I think you're missing a fundamental
  point about the R-tree extension: it is designed to hold ranges of
  data, not points.  An R-tree with three values defines a
  one-dimensional space not as (id, x, y), but as (id, min_x, max_x).

  If you want to do 2D coords, such as lat/long, you need an R-tree
  with five columns: (id, x_min, x_max, y_min, y_max).  You can put
  equal values in to define points, or you can define "boxes" of space.
  Either way, it must be true that (x_min <= x_max) (and so on), hence
  the bind and constraint errors you're getting.

    -j

"Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs.  We have
 a protractor."   "I'll go home and see if I can scrounge up a ruler
 and a piece of string."  --from Anathem by Neal Stephenson