I fully agree with DRH regarding SQLITE and single user performance. If you
need to replace  fopen then sqlite is a really really great product. Even if
you have some mild concurrency sqlite still does pretty darned good.

Oracle excels when you have many users that require concurrent database
changes.

Oracle performs row level locking and Multi-Versioning on data blocks to
achieve concurrency.

Oracle can perform Parallel queries. But the best usage of parallel query is
for full table scans where the entire table is read. And there are equally
sized segments for scanning by the query slaves. Other wise parallel query
probably won't help much.