Hello,

I am quite a newbie but I already spent a significant amount of time on
Google, to no avail.

I have a very small Perl program which exercises the basic SQLite3 features,
and it works very well.

I connect from Perl to SQLite3 through DBI, because it's a no brainer. I
don't know whether there are alternatives. Here is the connect statement:

    my $dbh = DBI->connect("dbi:SQLite:dbname=DBItest.db","", "");

Now I want to use an in-memory database, so I replaced my original connect
statement with the one suggested at
http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/wiki?p=PerlNotes :

     my $dbh = DBI->Connect("dbi:SQLite:dbname=:memory:");

However, this doesn't work, and I crash on that connect statement  with  the
following error message:

Can't locate auto/DBI/Connect.al in @INC (@INC contains:
/Volumes/BLeopard/Applications/TextMate.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Bundles/P
erl.tmbundle/Support /System/Library/Perl/5.8.8/darwin-thread-multi-2level
/System/Library/Perl/5.8.8 /Library/Perl/5.8.8/darwin-thread-multi-2level
/Library/Perl/5.8.8 /Library/Perl
/Network/Library/Perl/5.8.8/darwin-thread-multi-2level
/Network/Library/Perl/5.8.8 /Network/Library/Perl
/System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.8.8/darwin-thread-multi-2level
/System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.8.8 /Library/Perl/5.8.6 /Library/Perl/5.8.1 .)
at /Volumes/Prune/DBItest.pl line 26

To me the error message is rather puzzling as the exact same code works in
the case of a filename with no colons. Maybe the colons are screwing the
connect statement, since the connect statement itself uses colons as a
separator?

Either way, everything I tried failed, including silly things like varying
additional connect parameters or string delimitors. Does DBI support
in-memory SQLite3 databases? If so, how? Otherwise, are there any
alternative?

I use SQLite3 version 3.4.0. Please note that using ":memory:" from the
command line sqlite3 tool works fine.

My configuration: MacOS X 10.5.6, Perl 5.8.8, DBI 1.6.7.

Please note that I also posted a similar request to comp.lang.perl.misc, as
I am quite unsure of where best to go for help.

If anybody out there had any clue, I'd be very grateful.

Many many thanks,

Jean-Denis