Martin Pfeifle <martinpfei...@yahoo.de> wrote:
> Maybe I am totally mistaken.
> Assume I always use the latest sqlite_shell.exe program. I do not
> want to change anything in this program,
> then I cannot connect to my virtual file system which is written in C
> and stored in "myExtension.dll".

Why? Can't you do "select load_extension" on that DLL, and the DLL would
then call sqlite3_vfs_register in its entry point? Am I missing
something obvious?

> In contrast loadable extensions can be used.

I don't understand the distinction you make between loadable extension
and loadable VFS. A DLL loaded into SQLite-using process can call
sqlite3_create_function, or sqlite3_create_collation, or
sqlite3_vfs_register. How is the latter fundamentally different from the
former?

> For me loadable extensions and virtual file systems are somehow
> similar

No. Custom functions and virtual file systems are similar. Loadable
extension is a vehicle for packaging either, or both.

Igor Tandetnik