With sqlite 2.8, the copy command would ignore extra fields at the end.
How can I do this with .import in sqlite 3.11?  Many of the files I am
importing have trailing field separators.  Others may have extra data.
The files are too big for me to want a separate pass to trim off the
trailing fields.

This email, and any documents or data attached hereto, is intended for the
addressee(s) only. It may contain confidential and/or privileged information
and no rights or obligations have been waived by the sender. Any copying,
distribution, taking of action in reliance on, other use of the information
contain in this email by persons other than the intended addressee(s) is
prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please reply to the
sender by email and immediately delete or destroy all copies of this email,
along with any attached documents or data.