On 4/20/09 2:35 PM, "J. King" <jk...@jkingweb.ca> wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 06:53:37 -0400, D. Richard Hipp <d...@hwaci.com> wrote:
>
>> http://wiki.tcl.tk/21708
>
> It's a shame: I far preferred the BNF: more compact, not to mention you
> could copy and paste as well as search the text of the syntax itself.

"shame"? Are you sure that's the word you wanted to use?

I personally think those syntax diagrams are *better* than BNF (though no
shame either way).

- compactness: very weak argument, maybe even a strawman.
- copy & paste: the last time I wanted to copy & paste the formal syntax of
any language was... about right around when dinosaurs went extinct.
- search: I don't think there is any valid or interesting search of BNF
except for the keywords of the language, which *are* searchable with the
syntax diagrams.

Now *what are* the actual real-life uses of a formal specification of
SQLite's grammar? Realistically, there are few:

- look up the features of the language, typically to get a quick grasp of
the features, or to compare with another dialect of SQL
- check whether some [more or less obscure] construct is supported in the
grammar
- understand why some statement is rejected by SQLite (debugging).

In all these "read-only" situations, you want the grammar to be very fast to
read and understand.

This is where syntax diagrams excel: the cognitive load to understand them
is far less than BNF (for the majority of people).

I personally am rather experienced with formal grammars and BNF, but a
relative newbie with SQL and SQLite. I welcome the syntax diagrams.

Regards,

Jean-Denis