Indeed. Very good reply.
> To Sylvain, once again: speculating on what went into the minds of the
> developers, when they set out to develop SQLite, they chose the best,
> most concise, most portable, most universally compilable, mother of
> almost all languages. Once they developed something that was free,
> fast and cheap, there was no reason to change. Case closed.
>
> If you thing C++ can do a better job at doing what SQLite does on all
> the variety of platforms that it runs on flawlessly, well, the source
> code is available in public domain -- go ahead and create SQLite++ by
> transcribing each function into the language of your choice.
>
> May the better plan win.

This is something of a digression but is pertinent.  Colleagues who
worked with Bjarne Thorstrup (inventer of C++) tell me that Bjarne was
disillusioned with C++ and its wide deployment and would encourage
people not to use it unless there were clear advantages.

In our own company we came to the same conclusion as Dr Hipp and used
ANSI C for our compilers and database software.  C can be anything you
want it to be.  For example you can ensure portability by incorporating
your own  memory management system and tightly manage your use of
foreign libraries. for quality assurance  You have access to highly
optimizing compilers which can produce executables as good as those
written by a skilled Assembler programmer.