On 8/5/09 18:40 , "Jimmy Verner" <jver...@vernerlegal.com> wrote:

> Thx. for your note.  The dylib file is visible only when the app is is
> opened with xcode.  I then clicked on the file.  The Terminal window
> opened and I received the message set forth below.
>
> There is a db3 file within the app.  When I try to open the db3 file
> in xcode, nothing happens.  The db3 file is visible in Finder.  When I
> try to open it there, Finder says there is no default app with which
> to open it.  I am able to open it with Text Wrangler where there is
> much gibberish but also the data.  The file begins with SQ Lite format
> 3 and then includes setup commands to set up a table.
>
> I now understand that a db3 file is a dBase III file.  Perhaps you
> could point me to some resources so I can learn about dBase III files
> and how they interact with dylib files?
>
> Thx. again.
>
> Jimmy Verner
> www.vernerlegal.com
>

> On Aug 5, 2009, at 11:22 AM, Jean-Denis Muys wrote:
>

>> On 8/5/09 17:48 , "Jimmy Verner" <jver...@vernerlegal.com> wrote:
>>
>>> A developer built an iPhone app for me.  I am exploring using it as a
>>> template for another app.  The data file is called
>>> libsqlite3.0.dylib.  When I try to open the file, I receive this
>>> message:
>>>
>>> /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/
>>> iPhoneOS3.0.sdk/
>>> usr/lib/libsqlite3.dylib ; exit;
>>> [76-209-121-92:~] jimmyverner% /Developer/Platforms/
>>> iPhoneOS.platform/
>>> Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS3.0.sdk/usr/lib/libsqlite3.dylib ; exit;
>>> /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/
>>> iPhoneOS3.0.sdk/
>>> usr/lib/libsqlite3.dylib: Bad CPU type in executable.
>>> logout
>>> [Process completed]
>>>
>>> How do I open this file?
>>>
>>> Running OS X 10.5.7, Xcode 3.1.3.
>>>

>> A dylib file is not a data file, but a dynamic library, similar to
>> a .dll
>> file under Windows. It must be linked against in you Xcode project.
>>
>> The path you give suggests that dynamic library is coming with the
>> standard
>> iPhone SDK. How did you try to "open" it, as you said?
>>
>> If indeed you need to open the data (ie database) file, then you need
>> another file, possibly with a .db extension.
>>

>> Jean-Denis

You're top-posting, it's evil, the thread is becoming messy. That said...

It's apparent your DB3 file is the SQLite file you are looking for, not a
Dbase III file.

To open it, you can use any utility that can open a SQLite file. I
personnaly use MesaSQLite. Or you can use the SQLite3 command line utility
that's included with your Mac. Open a terminal and type something like

sqlite3 /path/to/mydb.db3

Then you can use all the SQLite commands.

I hope that let's you get started.

Jean-Denis