´¯¯¯
>(btw it's the standard datetime format in germany, not custom-designed
>:-P)
`---

I see this as a confusion between a storage/computational format and
human interface representation.

US "standard" for date is also completely awkward MM/DD/YYYY as well as
most european (german for you, french for me) formats. Nonetheless I
bet I'm not the only one storing my (string) dates as YYYY/MM/DD inside
databases in order to have a natural sort order with basic collating
sequence (binary).

In the same way, Unix epoch runs as fast as Usain Bolt but is
completely inadequate for human use (except for real programmers, of
course).

Why not create view(s) to have your data accesible under your own
computational-friendly format?  It would eat up some cycles but would
make your nigths longer.