>> You mean you will lock this extra-file before doing any update and
>> unlock when update is done? Then ok, it will work. But again be aware
>> of possible dead locks.
>>

>    You mean deadlocks are still possible in that scenario? How?

I mean just that I don't know exactly what do you want to do but dead
locks should be always kept in mind. Of course if you surround each
and every update and insert by locking of this extra-file and will
never start transaction earlier than locking the file then probably
you're good (I could miss some conditions here).

Pavel