On 13 Nov 2009, at 4:40pm, Peter Haworth wrote:

> That often give rise to some rounding issues.  I do all the math using
> however many decimal places are given to me and then round the total
> to two decimal places, then calculate how much is owed to each band
> member based on that total.  But whoever writes the checks for some of
> the above outfits doesn't seem to use the same logic since the checks
> I get are often different than what I calculate by a few pennies
> (usually more than the total I calculate).  Not really a big deal but
> it does require some otherwise-unnecessay accounting entries to deal
> with the rounding errors.

Whether or not you keep rounding fractions for yourself, be careful that the
bands have agreed on how you do rounding.  Also, have a tax accountant check
out that your method of rounding is acceptable by whatever tax authorities you
deal with.  Oh yeah, and sort out what tax calculations you're going to have to
do before you write the system.

I once wrote a system that dealt with stock events for many different types of
stock and it had to use one type of rounding to work out how much money to give
the stockholder and another type of rounding to work out how much tax to pay.
My customer was allowed to keep any difference between the two (which was
always positive).  Horribly complicated system to write but it generated a few
pence profit every few seconds just by doing what the taxman said.

Simon.