Interesting you should classify my data need as a waste without
knowing anything about my application.  What if I want to calculate a
percentage that the first column is of the total - would it still be a
waste to calculate the total?

As far as I'm concerned , the more data manipulation that can be done
by the underlying db system, the better.  That way my application is
protected from database structure changes. Subject to performance
considerations of course.  Isn't that one of the purposes of db systems?

Pete Haworth