After reading  http://www.sqlite.org/optoverview.html,  I think my query
meets the requirements for index use with the LIKE operator:

The column is varchar(75) and so TEXT affinity.
The column uses Latin-1 characters exclusively.
The wildcard appears at the far right end of the string literal, e.g.
myColumn LIKE 'foo%'
The escape clause does not appear.
Case-sensitivity=false;
collation-sequence is default NO-CASE

QUESTION:
A question, however, on the Latin-1, ASCII range requirement:  this is a
column requirement and not a database requirement, correct?  I have
several columns with text affinity; one is strict ASCII and represents
characters outside the ASCII range as html-entities (e.g. "ü") and
the others store the unicode characters. The database encoding is UTF-8.

My query with the LIKE operator worked instantaneously in MS-Access,
BTW, where I originally had the database. After exporting to delimited
text and reimporting into SQLite, most queries in SQLite are just as
fast, executing in under a second. But this query with the LIKE operator
takes 40 seconds because of the full-table scan.

Thanks