Many thanks to all who replied, that was very helpful. So the ticket was
closed because the old CVSTRACKER was closed, and a new ticket should be
created with the replacement mechanism, after being discussed in the mailing
list. @Roger: I apologize for the misunderstanding.

> If
> it alters the behaviour compared to previous SQLite versions then breaking
> that backwards compatibility would require exceptionally compelling
evidence.

In my opinion fixing this error should not break compatibility, because I
can't imagine a legitimate usage case that relies on a syntax error in order
to work correctly. Breaking compatibility in this case would mean that some
old code that didn't work suddenly starts working. Would that be so bad?

Also, I was unable to find a practical workaround for this issue. Since in
my case the queries are auto-generated, the only thing that comes close
would be to parse the output and replace the '*' with the full list of
columns in the table. I tried to feed a COCO/R generated parser with the
SQLite grammar but it choked and died miserably, so maybe I'll have better
luck with lexx/yacc.

Personally I am inclined to re-open this ticket with the new bug tracker,
unless someone could give a reason why not to.

Many thanks.

Bogdan