Roger,
I have had a very brief time observing the SQLite community, the
opposite of your own experience, but I have been working with a variety
of databases since 1985: PICK, Revelation, FoxPro, Paradox, MS-Access,
Oracle, and SQLServer, among others. I'm not a newbie to databases but
am a newbie to C.  I've never had the need to learn C to do my work, but
that could change.

You have distorted the facts to support your position that the requested
function be kept out of the core.

The requirements for the flip() function I've requested are unambiguous:
simply reverse the string, raw codepoint by codepoint.  Anything else is
a different function and not a request of mine. A flip() function that
does exactly what the counterpart Oracle and SQLServer reverse()
functions do would hardly be heavyweight, and it would stand the test of
time.

To lump my little string function request  in with a suite of
statistical functions is to consider a tricycle on par with an army
tank. Statistical functions are orders of magnitude more difficult to
implement.

I do not "refuse" to use the existing extension mechanism.  I am waiting
to hear from Adobe (a SQLite sponsor/Consortium member) whether their
implementation of SQLite in Flex/AIR supports LoadableExtensions;
according to the updated documentation that feature is turned off by
default for security considerations.  If they say yes, they do, I will
have the option of learning C and writing the function myself (or I can
borrow one from a generous benefactor).

Regards
Tim Romano