Igor Tandetnik wrote on 24/02/2010:

> Well, too bad.

Ha! Nothing's that bad!!!

> "Protected" means "a mutex is held while the value is outstanding".
> If such a hypothetical API existed, it would mean you could instruct
> SQLite to hold a mutex for an indefinite period of time, thus
> blocking all other activity on the connection. I doubt you actually want
that.

Yes, you are right in that I don't want blocking.

However, are you right?  Doesn't the call to sqlite3_mutex_held just check
whether I'm coming from the same calling thread - least-ways in the
default Unix implementation?  As long as I keep the database connection
open isn't this satisfied (its a database-wide mutex, also used in the
malloc/free functions)?  After all I'm not keeping a lock into a table in
the database - the value object is duplicated, I just have the ability to
read it through the sqlite3_value* api.

Thanks
Will