I use BEGIN TRANSACTION and COMMIT as prepared statements in a C
application.   I originally was not resetting these types of
non-binding prepared statements that only return SQLITE_DONE.

http://www.sqlite.org/c3ref/step.html states:
SQLITE_DONE means that the statement has finished executing
successfully. sqlite3_step() should not be called again on this
virtual machine without first calling sqlite3_reset() to reset the
virtual machine back to its initial state.

I don't seem to be having problem not resetting while reusing the
statements/connection, but just to be sure, I added sqlite3_reset()
after calling sqlite3_step() for these prepared statements.   Behavior
is certainly not worse.   Out of curiosity, is it OK to not reset for
non-binding and non-SQLITE_ROW prepared statements?