Pavel,  thanks for your response.  I will read up again and pay more
attention to the technical VFS details (try it out).    To answer your
question, maybe I am beating a dead horse. :)   This is an exploratory
project.

Right now, the server ISAM/BTREE is open in exclusive mode (no process
sharing) and all records and btree pages are managed with software
level reader/writer/exclusive locks.   SQLITE3 was suggested to low
footprint sql engine to improve the FTS and offer more ad-hoc
searching capabilities.  So I was thinking if I removed its locking
logic, I can manage it the sharing with incoming threads.

One goal to maintain the client side API traversal functions and
record level I/O functions:

    GetFileRecByRef()
    SearchFileRec()
    GetFirstFileRec()
    GetNextFileRec()
    GetPrevFileRec()
    GetLastFileRec()
    UpdateFileRec()
    AddFileRec()
    DeleteFileRec()

What I seeing basically if a thread is currently in, I presume *read
only* mode with a SELECT, any attempt before the cursor is released,
to update a record, a sharing violation is returned.

I can get it to work if the select request is completed (retrieve the
records first), then update them.  But this request a change to
existing client applets using the current client side RPC API.

I'm new to SQLITE3 so obviously I have a lot to learn about its
technical details.  But I was thinking if the cursor (sqlite3_stmt *),
if I correct in viewing it as a *cursor*, then it would be past the
its fetch and should be released from any update restriction.  But
SQLITE3 locks the whole request.  It would be seem to me that this
could be an improvement to release locks at the record/row level (once
the fetch was done).  But then again, that is probably what VFS is
there for.

Thanks

hls