I am also interested as to which Java JDBC wrappers are good.  I have
used the zentus wrapper for a very basic application and it worked OK.
I could not get it to register as a desktop database application in
Netbeans (6.5); but, that wasn't a problem for that simple application.
  But, I am about to do a much more complicated application and would
like to know what the best proven choices are.

Vance