> I know it would be possible to simply hard-code the default value into the
> UPDATE statement, but this would mean when updating the default in the table
> declaration, I then need to make sure all the UPDATEs match!

You could write a trigger that sets default value if NULL is inserted
or set via UPDATE. BTW, only via trigger you can actually change
default in production database on the fly. Otherwise SQLite doesn't
allow to change definition of already existing columns, so you
wouldn't be able to do that on the fly.

Pavel