Thanks for the suggestions, here's the results:

Sqlite Manager also fails.
This is a permission issue with the sql open api.  This is a "Shared Folder"
under VirtualBox with "read only permission".  There should be no reason that
the openv2 statement with the read_only specified should fail, unless sqlite is
not setting its permissions correctly when it does the file open.

If the folder is tagged as full access then sql open works.

Art.

________________________________

Running in sqlite application in Virtual Box, attempt to open a database with
sqlite from a shared network folder \\Vboxsvr\testdata  however the open16 and
openv2 (with read only)  both fail --- rc = 14.  App opens file if moved
locally to hard drive.

using latest version of sqlite3 3.6.23.1

this seems to be a bug in the open code of sqlite when accessing a file across
a network.

Thank you,
Art Zerger
azer...@yahoo.com
=======================================

Hi Art,

I just succeeded in opening a db with a UNC path, under Windows XP Pro, using
the same version (3.6.23.1) with the command-line utility -- but I do NOT use
virtual box.

Does the command-line utility fail for you under virtual box?

Might you attempt it without virtualbox?

Donald

------------------------------

A VBox shared folder is not exactly the best example of
"sharing over a network". The purpose of shared folders is
to copy files to and from virtual machines in an easy way.
I think the locking primitives of VBox shared folders are
not 100%.  You could try again with NFSv4.

--
  (  Kees Nuyt
  )

I don't believe so: I use several bases which I open with MS short UNC
syntax 200 times a day without any problem ever (using vanilla 3.6.23.1).

Your issue is elsewhere.  Make sure the account you use has enough
rights to the destination folder and check you can access it with, for
instance, a innocent application like a hex editor or a third-party
SQLite manager.