On Friday, September 24, 2010 1:03 PM, Josh Gibbs wrote:

>  What's the chance that 2 people with the same surname would have
> the same problem in the same week...
>
> [ ... ]

I can only think its something in the name!

I did actually see your thread moments after creating my own.  I'd done a
search on "DELETE OR IGNORE" without finding yours, so that'll teach me not
to check more thoroughly!!! ;o)

I did some further tests though and found that even if a DELETE OR IGNORE
existed it probably would not do what I would have expected it to do, since
foreign key constraints cause an ABORT regardless of the conflict resolution
given in the statement.  I found that an INSERT/UPDATE OR IGNORE will also
abort with an error if the foreign key constraints fail, rather than just
not performing the action.  Maybe my understanding/intuition of the "OR
IGNORE" clause should do is somewhat adrift of what it should be.

Cheers
Andy