Looking for some guidance or enlightenment on the available fields within a
given trigger.

In reading through the code as a non-C kind of guy, it looks like there's an
array of columnar values lumped together as old.* and new.* would need them,
but nothing that contains the individual field or column names.  Am I
missing something or is this deemed too specific/non-generic for the trigger
purposes?

My business case would be in the realm of logging, for example.  If I'm
using an audit-centric trigger, I'd probably want to store field and value,
as opposed to the entire row as only one or two fields might change and to
conserve space.  I could probably rig a rube goldberg series of triggers to
store and compare old.* and new.* values to reinsert elsewhere but if the
column names are already present it'd be a nice little shortcut.  My primary
use would be via the shell...

Thanks!