Could Anybody please help?

We are running SQLite 3.7.3 on an embedded device and using C API to
interact with the DB. One of our goals is to ensure that the database
never grows past certain size (which is very small for this embedded box).

We open DB connection once and would like to keep it open for the
whole duration of C application.
The following PRAGMAs are used to open the database:

 page_size=1024
 max_page_count=5120
 count_changes=OFF
 journal_mode=OFF
 temp_store=MEMORY

When we hit the limit with the INSERT statement we get back
SQLITE_FULL, which is fine and is expected at some point. However, all
subsequent SELECTs or, in fact, any other DB interactions return
SQLITE_CORRUPT. That is until we close and re-open the same database
again, we can then SELECT,DELETE and UPDATE without a problem.

Is this intended behaviour?
Are we doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Andrei