Again, thanks for your response:)

Cheers,
Gyula
Feladó: sqlite-users-boun...@sqlite.org [sqlite-users-boun...@sqlite.org] ;
meghatalmazó: Simon Slavin [slav...@bigfraud.org]
Küldve: 2010. december 7. 17:00
Címzett: General Discussion of SQLite Database
Tárgy: Re: [sqlite] Backup-restore behaviour

On 7 Dec 2010, at 3:49pm, Csom Gyula wrote:

> Just one more question. As you put backup-restore is based upon data pages
> (that could be binary a format I guess) not on plain SQL/data records. After
> all: Is the data page/backup format platform indenpendent? For instance can I
> restore a database on Windows from a backup created on a Linux box?

You are correct.  Although this format is documented, it should be treated as
an impenetrable black box in most circumstances.  Howver, the file format is
identical on all platforms that run SQLite version 3.  You can, for example,
take any SQLite database that was created on an iPhone, and read it on a
Windows computer, or vice versa.

There are some minor format differences between different versions of SQLite.
For instance, if you use the ALTER TABLE ADD COLUMN command introduced in
3.2.0, versions before that will not be able to read the file.  However,
changes like these are very rare (it's happen just twice and we're up to 3.7
now) and if you keep to relatively similar version numbers on your two
platforms you're unlikely to have problems.

Simon.