michael,

> Have you run your test with and without crypto?  If Apple can compile
> 3.6.23.2 to work you should be able to also (might be overly optimistic here
> but compilers are 100% deterministic, although not necessartiliy 100% binary
> match).

        we have encrypted and read a database with what we have in place
currently, but we aren't doing that at the moment.

        some somewhat disturbing news.  i took the same sqlite.c file that is
built into our project and built another project, and prepared and ran the same
statement, and it succeeded.

        i also took the same statement and tried to run it in our app in a
method called as soon as the application launches, and it fails.  so we have
something going on at a different level.

        i think now it is just pounding heads against the wall until it is
found.

        but any other thoughts are certainly welcome!

        mickm