We are using sqlite version 3.3.17 in a production environment, and are
facing an issue where a particular process is not releasing the read lock on
the sql file. This locks up the database when any write operations are
attempted by other processes. The process under question is not multi
threaded and stack trace reveals that the process is not stuck in an SQLite
library call but is processing other requests.

A code review of the DB access API has not revealed any resources or calls
that have not been closed/freed properly.

Questions
--
>From my debugging efforts, the issue appears to be that the process entered
the sqlite library at some point in its operation, acquired a read lock, and
returned from the library, but failed to release the read lock. Under what
circumstances can this occur?

Is there a known issue in the sqlite library which fixes a similar problem,
that would necessitate us to upgrade to a newer version?

Thanks in advance
Madhu