On 9 Mar 2011, at 15:23, Nick Hodapp wrote:

> I'm using sqlite in an iOS app, via the popular FMDB wrapper.
>
> My profiling tool is showing me that the app is using 2.5 MB of memory
> before a VACUUM, and nearly 6MB after.  The tool shows that the extra memory
> was allocated by sqlite3MemMalloc().  If I close and re-open the database
> then the extra memory usage goes away, returning to 2.5 MB.
>
> Is there any sqlite function I can call, or some other technique, to reduce
> the memory allocated and hung-onto by sqlite, particularly during a VACUUM?

See http://www.sqlite.org/c3ref/release_memory.html - if you invoke
  sqlite3_release_memory(INT_MAX)
it will free up as much as it can at that point in time.

6.5Mb isn't that much for an iOS app to be using - are you getting memory usage
warnings?

Best Regards,

Phil Willoughby
--
Managing Director, StrawberryCat Limited

StrawberryCat Limited is registered in England and Wales with Company No.
7234809.

The registered office address of StrawberryCat Limited is:

107 Morgan Le Fay Drive
Eastleigh
SO53 4JH