On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 5:59 PM, Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:
> You should almost never be creating indexes on the fly.  Bear in mind that if
> SQLite finds a search that would be better with an index, it creates it
> itself and it is far better at working out the best index than you are.  The
> only disadvantage is that it will recreate the index each time you do that
> SELECT.

Yes.  The code was only supposed to create 1 specific index but bug caused more.

Is there any way to know when SQLite has created a temporary index?

It would be nice to have an option to allow SQLite to save these
temporary indexes when SQLite is being used in a desktop environment.
Probably by #define at compile time.  Doesn't seem like this would add
much test burden since the creation of the temporary indexex must be
tested now, likewise saving index is clearly tested now.  So I see
only new test required for the actual save that would be done in this
new execution path.