On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 4:44 PM, Dave White <dwh...@companioncorp.com>wrote:

> I can't get WAL checkpoints to work, automatically or forced. The WAL file
> seems to grow forever until the database is shutdown. I have tried:
>
>        sqlite3_wal_checkpoint()
>                and
>        PRAGMA wal_checkpoint (with all different options)
>
> My 84MB data file is now paired with a 538MB WAL file.
>
> Any ideas why this would happen?

You have a read transaction being held open.  The checkpoint cannot run to
completion when there is a read transaction open.  (It does as much as it
can and quits.)  The reason is that if it were to run to completion, it
would delete content out from under the read transaction.

> Thanks
> dw

D. Richard Hipp
d...@sqlite.org