On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 3:08 PM, Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:

> Out of interest, are you trying to analyse the results of a "SELECT *" ?
>  Because since it's your query in the first place, you should know what
> columns you asked for.

Nope, I NEVER do SELECT *, very, very evil!!!!!  Great for development and
testing, but not in code!

I happen to have a code path such that the select statement can return 1, 3
or 5 columns.  I know I could go based on count, but if I could do it by
name that would be safer.  I had not considered the point that multiple
columns could have the same name, though, so I fully understand why such a
function does not exist.

Sam