> Is this true, or is the memory usage pretty much similar?

Until you reach limit set by 'pragma cache_size' memory usage would be
the same for in-memory database and on-disk database. When the size of
your database grows beyond 'pragma cache_size' in-memory database
starts to consume more memory than on-disk one, because it has nowhere
to push pages out of the cache.

Pavel