Well, for my part, I forgot that I'm not including the R-tree stuff at this
point. I do include FTS (that's why I have a custom build, not to mention the
latest WAL stuff.)

And to the extent it matters, I'm not using LLVM.

But I am building -O0 -ggdb. That doesn't do any inline or deadcode elimination
and it throws lots and lots and lots of symbol stuff in. Lots.  Really. Lots.

Unless I'm missing something, you're looking at something that doesn't matter.
The size of the .a is very weakly correlated to resulting size of the
executable. You don't ship the .a (or you certainly shouldn't be). It just gets
linked into your executable and then you strip your executable. Both the
linking and the stripping steps remove a ton of symbol information. Much of the
size of the sqlite .o's and .a's are symbols that are going to be dumped.

To give you an idea, as I said, my sqlite library is about 3M. My custom
openssl build is 17M. My own library is 37M. The final executable in debugging
mode is 7M before strip and 5M. Again, with -O0.

I'm pretty sure this is a non-issue.